- In EndNote, go to "Tools > Open Term Lists > Journal Terms List".
- Highlight the first journal, and press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight all the terms (on a Macintosh, this would be [Command]+A). Note: If the Journal Terms List is empty, skip to step 4.
- Next, press the "Delete Term" button to the right to empty the list of old terms.
- Go to the "Lists" tab at the top, and click on the "Import List" button.
- Browse to the Term Lists folder within the EndNote folder, and choose to open the Medical text file (assuming you want to use the Index Medicus abbreviations).
If you are on a Windows machine, this folder should default to:
C:\Program Files\EndNote (EndNote Version Number)\Terms Lists
If you are on a 64-bit Windows machine, this folder should default to:
C:\Program Files (X86)\EndNote (EndNote Version Number)\Terms Lists
If you are on a Mac, this folder should default to:
Hard Drive: Applications: EndNote (EndNote Version Number): Terms
- This will import the correct abbreviations into your library's term list.
- Next, to make sure the style is using the correct substitution, go to "Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager".
- In the list of styles, highlight the style you are using and click the "Edit" button.
- Click on "Journal Names" on the left.